Monday, April 11, 2011

The perfect house...Or so I thought

I'm still ironing out some "final" details before we can talk about the "dream house" so I figured I'd talk about the house that I used to call perfect. I am working with an AMAZING agent from Century 21, and I gave her the guidelines and she found it. 2+ Bedrooms, 2+ Bathrooms, at least 1/2 Acre, and an amazing kitchen.  The BF also wanted a shed/garage/workshop of some sort for his stuff. 

What we found: 1600sqft 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath, single story on 1 acre.  Everything was perfect about this house, kitchen had more bells and whistles than the Macy's Day Parade, rooms were super spacious, and for the BF the super garage! Downsides (believe me there still aren't many): 24 years old, there was a previously patched crack that ran along the hallway at ceiling level, was in the next town over (still close to work, but schools aren't so hot), and *drum roll* its a short sale. 

If you aren't familiar with short sales, they are a pain in the...backside. And this one was a "special case" <--words of the listing agent. The seller was taking a job in another state and needed to sell.  As in the case of a short sale, he owed more than what he could get out of it. Its really unfortunate for him, great for the buyer. 

Either way, it was by far the best house I had looked at, and I was in love with it. So we put in an offer. There was a lot of attention on the house, so we offered listing and asked for $7,000 in closing costs.  The seller didn't hesitate.  After looking up some history on the house I realized how great a deal this was and that this was less than half the value of the property.  I knew getting into this that short sales can take a little longer, and was told that on average I should know something in 60 days. 

This was January 12th. I signed the release from the contract on April 5th and there was still no solid information on when this might get close to closing. So after almost 3 months, there was no end in sight. I'll admit I was heartbroken, but I was also fed-up.  There are only so many times that a girl can hear "Only 30 more days"

The good news is, is that there is an end in sight, and its a wonderful wonderful view. 

This house might have been the perfect house, and had everything that we wanted in our first home. But maybe it wasn't the home that we were supposed to start our life and family in.  I'm a firm believer of everything happens for a reason, and I've lived my life that way. 

Stay tuned for a post about the dream home! 

Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment